Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Start of Fall and Classes

The fall weather began on the exact same day that classes started. It's cool and gloomy, but I really like it for a change. The air is starting to smell like fall here, which is something I miss dearly from living in Michigan my entire childhood. In California it's about 90, sunny, and dry right now. So, I'm feeling this weather. At least for right now...talk to me in December.

Going to my first GTF class today. Looking forward to seeing all the crazy Freshpersons. I also find out today which sections (day and time) I'm teaching, which I'm dying to know since I could be teaching as early as tomorrow. Luckily, my professor who is leading the class seems pretty loose about what and how we teach. I suppose I'll just try and make it as fun as possible, and as interactive as possible and go from there. Gosh, it can't be much different then working with the 3 children at my nanny job for the past seven years. Probably comparable discipline issues. HA! Maybe I'll make a time-out corner in the room!

As far as my classes are concerned, they're alright. I'm learning quickly that professors REALLY like to talk about themselves and really have little to no concern about whether or not you're really getting the material. Please, please, please, don't let me ever get like that. I really don't want to be the type of professor that constantly brags about themselves, rambles on and on, and does so in a manner that the students might as well not even be in the room.

I love reading the theory we've been assigned. Class is supposed to be a seminar, but appears to be more of a lecture format, which is extremely disappointing. I'd much rather speak with the others in my class about their interpretations.

My methods class sounds like it's going to be relatively interesting. Should offer me a well-rounded idea of what my research method options are. Although, I doubt I'll go with anything other then qualitative just because I really enjoy it and that's what my experience is in.

Someone asked me yesterday how I was feeling about school and all I could say was, "amazing." This is exactly what I've always wanted, always dreamed about. It's incredible that I don't have a job outside the university. I don't have to "switch gears" from the academic world to the "work" world. I actually think I'll have less stress in this program then I ever did in undergrad, but mostly because I'm not working full-time while trying to go to school 15+ semester units. I'm so thankful that I got accepted, and so glad that people pushed me to say yes. I'm really looking forward to the next years. And, yes...you can hold that against me later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment